A. Troubleshooting FAQ
Click on highlighted links for more details about a particular subject.
1. My email server requires SSL or TLS secure connection. Example: Gmail, Hotmail, Yahoo!
DispatchSMS does not support SSL/TLS for email at this time - use a different email provider which does not require an encrypted connection. For low-volume use, we recommend using your ISP provided email account or setting up a free account at GMX mail: http://www.gmx.com
For high-volume users, a bulk SMTP account may be required. ComTekk has made this service available at low cost: http://comtekk.com/order.htm
SSL will be available in a future release of DispatchSMS.
2. How do I determine my email address for receiving SMS or pager text messages?
Try this lookup or contact your carrier
Be sure to have all SMS recipients permission and ask them to check their calling plan allowances before using this feature. Most wireless carriers charge extra for messaging.
3. I'm having trouble sending email, but can't figure out why
Follow these steps to troubleshoot email problems:
- Enable SMTP Logging in Settings -> Diagnostics tab.
- Try sending a test email.
- Open the file "smtp.log", normally found in the folder C:\Program Files\ComTekk\DispatchSMS (locate the file using My Computer, or Windows File Explorer)
- Use this guide to help interpret the dialog between your computer and the mail server.
- Be sure to verify with your provider that all mail server (SMTP/Outgoing) settings are correct.
Most major ISPs, including Comcast, AT&T, Cox and others block outgoing traffic on port 25 as an anti-spamming measure. Port 587 is a commonly used alternate that is usually not blocked. If you are receiving a connect error, try changing the port to 587.
See this article for more information, including how to test: http://www.postcastserver.com/help/Port_25_Blocking.aspx
General info about port 25 blocking: http://www.commercestreet.com/Blocking_Port_25.htm
4. DispatchSMS sometimes stops sending email
If the email routine encounters an improperly formatted email address, an error will be returned, stopping the mailing process. Carefully review all your email address entries for both SMS and regular emails. Make sure emails are all formatted as firstname.lastname@example.org SMS entries should be 10-digit phone number and carrier selected.
<< more FAQs will be added as we receive additional user feedback >>
B. Technical Support
Registered ComTekk users are entitled to twelve (12) months email technical support at no charge. Telephone support is available for US$75.00 per incident plus any applicable long-distance fees.
Technical support issues should be directed to: